Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Flat Arbiter Pro Dums

  1. #1
    Inactive Member buga's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2003
    Posts
    325
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    alright im planning on purchasing a *lite size kit*(easier to travel-set up and the usual intricacies that stuff involves)and since I can't be bothered by electronic kits I was thinking about getting those Flat Arbiter Pro drums, their site is http://www.arbiterdrums.com/

    The main idea here is NOT to have an awesome sounding kit(I already have one and ill probably use the Roto Rack as an expansion [img]wink.gif[/img] ), it's about having an easily portable, decent sounding kit. Which it is. I'm still having trouble understanding how the tuning system works from the site but from what I could "gather" the set will sound according to the heads you put on it. Whatever qualities are promoted as being characteristic of that drumhead, those qualities will be brought out tenfold on the Flats set, what with the lack of a shell. Another VERY cool feauture is the snare drum. It actually has a shell, and thus, a resonant head. And what with the single lug tuning system, you can hear what effect the snare side resonant actually has, as you can tighten the whole mechanism with a single turn, without tightening the snares or anything. VERY cool.

    I can't remember what issue, but Modern Drummer did a review on these kits(and there are several different reviews on their site). The kit got LOTS of praise, then again I trust MD as much as I trust America's goverment on foreign policy, go figure [img]graemlins/hmmm.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ May 20, 2003 11:05 PM: Message edited by: Bozzio ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Dazzler's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 3rd, 2003
    Posts
    1,373
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Bozzio. I used to play drums with NYJO (The National Youth Jazz Orchestra), which is a big band in England for three years and as it was a fairly high profile gig - we recorded several albums and played Ronnie Scotts a few times, I was offered an endorsement with Arbiter drums. I have tried the Flats and found them to be ok. They are VERY portable and if you are using them just for pub gigs, they will be perfect if you don't want the hassel of setting up and maintaining a full kit for small gigs.
    The one lug tuning system works very well as you can literally take off a head, whack a new one on and tune it, in around a minute. These are easily the most practical drums that I've played as I can chop and change different heads in a second and have them tuned up fairly easily. I would like to point out at this point that I haven't had any contact from the company in a while and I'm in no way trying to 'sell them' to you.. it's not in my interest to! There is a discrepancy in the tuning that some of you will find very annoying. As the drums work like a jubilee clip and there is only one lug, you will never be able to get the exact same tension all round the drum head, but I was told that it is the 'overall' drum sound that we are after and not specific points at the edge of the head. If you are happy with these minor discrepancies and way them up against the practicality of the kit, then these drums are excellent. I've been recording with them for a few years in different scenarios - pop, jazz, big bands and they record very well too.
    I'm talking of course about the Arbiter drums themselves and not the Flats that you want. I would say that if you are looking for a very practical kit for pub gigs that you can transprt and maintain very easily, then these will be for you. Also be prepared to hang around for a while after your gig as loads of people will come up to ou and ask what the hell these drums are! Even non drummers have wandered up to me and asked what these one lug drums are all about!
    You could always have a look at the Yamaha club kit that is also very practical as all the drums fit inside each other....Good luck with your choice.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member buga's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 30th, 2003
    Posts
    325
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey Man Thanks!

    I've fantasized about making a drum you could tune equally with just one lug, but people always called me dumb [img]tongue.gif[/img] Right or wrong, at least I can prove it can be done. I'll get the PRO KIT right now!. I mean, you'd have to mic your bass at least cuz it's so damn thin it'd never get that big phat sound, but it'd have a nice small sound. Micing always fixes things. Triggers too, I guess, if you want to.

    I love the idea though. I bet you'd learn LOADS about tuning with those, as it's gotta be such a deleicate job to get that proper sound. [img]smile.gif[/img]

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •